Other Research: In a double blind, placebo-controlled trial investigating body composition, muscle strength, and muscle endurance, 19 healthy male recreational bodybuilders (ages 18–35) were given either 10 mg ribose powder or a dextrose placebo powder. The men were instructed to dissolve 5 grams of the powder in water and consume it, first 30–60 minutes before then 30–60 minutes after their training session. Without altering body composition, significant gains in muscular endurance and strength were seen with the ribose supplementation but not with the placebo powder.19.
In another, pilot clinical trial with 41 men and women, the effect of ribose on occasional fatigue was a major focus. Participants were instructed to take a 5-gram scoop of ribose three times per day, mixed with food, water, or another beverage (for a total of 15 grams daily). After 20 days of supplementation, significant benefits were seen in energy levels, sleep patterns, mental clarity, and state of well-being, as well as other subjective markers of quality of life.20.
Best D-Ribose from Doctor’s Best is a high-quality source of ribose for anyone with an active lifestyle and desiring higher energy and muscular fitness. Its benefits for the muscles and the cardiovascular system are best experienced by supplementing with up to 15 grams daily, taken just before or after meals.
1. Dhanoa TS, Housner JA. Curr Sports Med Rep 2007;6:254-257.
2. Sinatra ST. Altern Ther Health Med 2009;15:44-52.
3. Omran H, Illien S, MacCarter D, others. Eur J Heart Fail 2003;5:615-619.
4. Pauly DF, Pepine CJ. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Ther 2000;5:249-258.
5. Gross M, Reiter S, Zollner N. Klin Wochenschr 1989;67:1205-1213.
6. Herrick J, St Cyr J. J Die
7. Hellsten Y, Skadhauge L, Bangsbo J. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2004;286:R182-8.
8. Dodd SL, Johnson CA, Fernholz K, St Cyr JA. Med Hypotheses 2004;62:819-824.
9. Hellsten-Westing Y, Norman B, Balsom PD, Sjodin B. J Appl Physiol (1985) 1993;74:2523-2528.
10. Green HJ. J Sports Sci 1997;15:247-256.
11. Stathis CG, Febbraio MA, Carey MF, Snow RJ. J Appl Physiol (1985) 1994;76:1802-1809.
12. MacCarter D, Vijay N, Washam M, others. Int J Cardiol 2009;137:79-80.
13. Vijay N, Maccarter D, Shecterle LM, St Cyr JA. J Med Food 2008;11:199-200.
14. Pliml W, von Arnim T, Stablein A, others. Lancet 1992;340:507-510.
15. Pauly DF, Johnson C, St Cyr JA. Med Hypotheses 2003;60:149-151.
16. Illien S, Omran H, MacCarter D, St. Cyr J. Faseb J 2001;15.
17. Vina J, Gomez-Cabrera MC, Lloret A, others. IUBMB Life 2000;50:271-277.
18. Seifert JG, Subudhi AW, Fu MX, others. J Med Food 2009;12:690-693.
19. Van Gammeren D, Falk D, Antonio J. Current Therapeutic Research 2002;63:486-495.
20. Teitelbaum JE, Johnson C, St Cyr J. J Altern Complement Med 2006;12:857-862.