At Traditional Craft Kits we believe that people have enormous creative potential. With our kits we challenge people to expand their comfort zone and turn raw materials into pieces of art. We know that this process is good, healthy and necessary for people and society.
Our mission is to keep traditional crafting relevant in our modern world. We offer a product line that teaches hands-on skills, sparks creativity and inspires appreciation for handmade arts.
We have developed a line of craft kits that brings together the symbolism and designs found in many cultures by applying them to the art of basket making, pottery and other craft techniques. We have chosen crafts that are fun, educational and challenging. Learning these traditional skills opens up a whole new and fulfilling world of creativity. Basketry is not an easy craft. With time you can develop your skill at a traditional craft. You will be proud of your achievement.
- Kits come with the materials you need to make the product shown on the cover of the kit booklet.
- Learn all four methods of basketry: Coiled, Plaited, Twined and Wicker. Plus two coiling variations: Wrap Stitch and Pine Needle.
- Enjoy about hours of fun while learning a new craft skill!
- Kits are packed in plastic bags that can be used to store materials while you make your basket
- Each kit is hand packed in USA in a small family business with high quality recycled paper materials from USA, raffia from Madagascar, hand gathered pine needles from downed trees in California, steel needles from England, printed in USA.
I have tested these kits with my own children. Basketry is a very mindful activity and a very rewarding skill to achieve. I have been making baskets since I was 13 years old. These kits are teaching skills, along with patience and perseverance. Traditionally plant materials are used to make baskets. Gathering and preparing materials takes longer than the making of a basket. With these affordable materials you can learn to weave, and later if you desire, you can explore other materials to weave with.